5/13/17

Lentil and Barley Stew

1/4 c butter
1/3 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped celery
2 and 1/2 c skinned chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
2 c water
1/2 c dried brown lentils, picked over and washed
1/3 c pot barley
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp rosemary
1/3 c grated carrots

Melt the butter and sauté the onions till tender. Add celery and sauté another five minutes.
Add remaining ingredients except carrot.
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer gently 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add carrots and cook five minutes longer or until barley and lentils are tender.

I made Cornmeal Dumplings with these so it was a good thing I used about a half-cup more water than this recipe called for and probably an extra half-cup of canned diced tomatoes too. With the dumplings the dish could've used even more broth.

We had this stew with brown rice. It made a tasty and filling bowl.

Where this recipe came from, I cannot say. It's on a photocopied sheet of paper taped into the old binder where I keep my stray recipes. On the same sheet are recipes for lentil-millet patties, lentil stew, lentil loaf and lentil burgers. Woo hoo! I love lentils.

No comments:

Post a Comment