7/17/17

Hamburger Chop Suey

Another one of my favourites. Can you tell I have a weakness for ground beef?

3 lg stalks celery, sliced thin
1 medium onion, chopped fine
3 tbsp oil
1 lb ground beef
2 tbsp miso bean paste (or 1 cube beef bouillon) mixed in 1/2 c boiling water
1 can water chestnuts (or fresh mushrooms)
2 and 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp cold water
1 pkg bean sprouts or chop suey vegetables

Brown beef, remove from pan, and drain it.
Saute onions and celery in oil over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Add beef.
Mix cornstarch, sugar, pepper, soya sauce and cold water into a smooth paste. Add to meat mixture and stir thoroughly.

Mix in sprouts or veggies and water chestnuts. Heat thoroughly and serve with steamed rice.



Original recipe: Eat, Drink and Be Healthy, by Agnes Tom. If I could only take one recipe book with me to a desert island for the rest of my life, this would be the one.

No comments:

Post a Comment