8/17/14

Lentil-Herb Soup


1 cup dry lentils, rinsed 
1 onion or 3 green onions, chopped and sautéed
5 c water 
1 carrot, grated
1/8 tsp oregano
¼ cup chopped parsley
1/8 tsp thyme
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt, or to taste
2 tomatoes 


Sauté veggies in oil and add remaining ingredients.
Add 1 or 2 chopped tomatoes or a small can of whole tomatoes. 
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.

This simple, tasty, nutritious recipe came my way via my dear friend Luanne, a.k.a. Skip-to-My.


As a variation, I added 2 tb paprika to the broth, and at the end I stirred in fresh spinach and a cup of chopped olives. Thanks to Post Punk Kitchen for the excellent idea. You can also sauté some chopped celery along with the onions and carrots. Anything goes!