12/13/16

Macaroni and Cheese Deluxe

Macaroni and Cheese Deluxe.

2 c elbow macaroni
Cook in boiling water till tender but firm, about five to seven minutes, and drain.

Add:
4 c. grated sharp or medium cheddar cheese
1 can mushroom soup
1 c sliced mushrooms
1 c finely chopped onions
3/4 c mayonnaise (I used Miracle Whip)
1/4-3/4 c finely chopped green pepper (optional)
2 tbsp chopped pimento

Put into greased casserole dish and bake,  uncovered, in 350F oven for 30-40 minutes.

This isn't healthy in the least, is it? with all that cheese, and canned soup, and mayo. But it's ridiculously tasty. The original recipe comes from Jean Paré's pasta cookbook. I've never added the pimento, and Paré's recipe calls for only 1/4 c of green pepper, but last night I had no mushrooms so tripled the green pepper amount and it was great.

I'm listing this in the Side Dishes category because if you use it for a Main Course it will only feed two.


3 comments:

  1. I am drooooling here. This is going to be in my recipe rotation very soon. One of the things I love to add to macaroni and cheese is a tin of drained, good tuna at the bottom of the baking dish. What do you mean this is junk food? See that protein there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's a winner. Even people who aren't fans of pasta casseroles always say they liked it.

      Delete
    2. I have made macaroni and cheese with tuna recently but I am on a meal soup kick lately. It will be a Duntch oven pot filled with saved bones and meat bits and other fridge surprises, some tomatoes likely, simmer an hour or so, then pair it with crusty bread and salad the first meal and freeze the rest. I've just finished the pot of broccoli cheese soup I made last week. It was sooo good. I'm also a firm believer of "things on toast" for a meal.

      Delete