8/27/14

Granola

At our house this granola is a staple; we may eat it for breakfast, but we eat a bowlful for a snack any time of day. The ingredient amounts below are already doubled.
 It's filling; a person with my appetite—somewhat small— will eat little more half a cup at a time. 
This is a double batch so it's baked in two goes (in other words, two pans at a time for an hour each = two hours; for years I baked it all in one hour but it didn't brown as nicely or get crispy so lately I divide it over four pans and bake each set of two pans for an hour).
Also, I recently substituted roasted-pumpkin puree for the vegetable oil and it works great. (To puree the pumpkin, I added the water and vanilla measures for the pumpkin recipe to the blender.)

16 c rolled oats
3 c unsweetened coconut
3 c wheat germ (our local store doesn't have this anymore and I don't miss it here)
3 c nuts and seeds (sunflower, sesame, walnuts, almonds - mixed, or whatever is on hand)
1-and-1/3 c vegetable oil
2 c honey
1/2 c water
1 tb salt (optional)
3 tsp vanilla
3 c raisins

Stir vanilla and salt into wet ingredients and pour over dry ingredients (except raisins) in a large bowl. 
Mix well and spread onto two cookie sheets or large pans (cake pans and roasters have high sides and are thus less messy but the granola doesn't crisp up as nicely) and bake at 300F for 40 to 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or more often if you smell burning. 
When oats are nicely browned, remove granola from oven and cool before adding raisins.
Store in airtight containers.
The granola can be kept in the freezer, too.








No comments:

Post a Comment