9/5/14

Julie's Hot Thai Soup

Just what I need to help me fight off this sore throat/ head cold that is trying to afflict itself on me! I am going for a record one year without a cold; I just have to make it till Thanksgiving.

I'm sure there is some lemongrass in the pantry somewhere, but I haven't seen tofu in the Wadena grocery store for a long, long time.

4 c vegetable broth
1 tsp chopped ginger root
a few bits of lime zest
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp powdered lemon grass (or 1 fresh lemon grass bulb, crushed, or ½ tsp lime zest)
½ package firm tofu, cubed
4 shallots, thinly sliced (or 8 green onions, chopped)
3 or more fresh chilis, chopped, with seeds
2 tbsp soya sauce
2 c fresh mushrooms, chopped
4 kaffir lime leaves (or ½ to 1 tsp lime zest)
juice of half a lime (about 1 tbsp)
½ tsp pepper
1/3 c chopped cilantro
1 can baby corn

Bring first 11 ingredients to a boil. 
Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. 
Turn off heat and add remaining ingredients.


Julie says the real ingredients are better than lime zest, and that this is an immunity booster and tonic for nausea and head colds.

No comments:

Post a Comment