9/3/14

One Quart Pickles à la Karen

You aren't always making a big batch of dill pickles. Sometimes there are just enough cucumbers for one jar. 

Put several garlic cloves, fresh dill and small cucumbers in one-quart jar.
Add 2 tb pickling salt and 2 tb sugar.

Bring ¾ cup vinegar to a boil, put in jar, add boiling water to fill. 
Put lid on and shake jar until sugar and salt dissolve.

Add:
2 tb coarse salt
1 tb white sugar
1/2 c vinegar
Pinch of alum

Add more fresh dill, fix with ice cold water and seal jar.
Shake jar a couple of times a day for the first day or two.
Pickles will be ready to eat in ... hm, I'll check that and get back to you!

***
An email to Karen elicited this reply:

"You know, I'm not sure! I usually just put mine in the fridge."
So there you have it. 
I think I'd give 'em a week or two before eating, but ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment